Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Church of I - it is about all of us

In Robert Heinlein's book Stranger in a Strange Land, the Martian Michael Valentine sums up his religious beliefs with one phrase: "Though art God!" This is similar to the most important, central belief of the Church of I.

We believe that God is the Collective Consciousness of all things that have ever lived but are not, now living.

We believe that when we "pass away" all of our memories and knowledge flows into the Collective Consciousness and we are judged. If we are largely "good" then we are "assimilated" into God. If we are evil then we are shunned and will live on, alone, forever.

Assimilation is heaven. Being shunned is Hell.

1 comment:

Renee Hankins Ferguson said...

Hello...I'm someone from your distant past. I knew you well at one time. You were my best friend for six years. We were very young. Now i'm not but I remember The Church of I. We talked about it at the park in Independence lying on the ground at night, looking up at the stars. Then you went to Boot Camp. Then you came back and we got married. Weird, right? R.